Kenyan welcome

Kenyan welcome

Sunday, September 22, 2019

A message from Marilyn


Dear Blog Aficionados,

Randy has again offered me an opportunity to post on our blog. One of the many blessings that Tenwek offers to us as a couple is the time to share deeply our joys and concerns from our daily experiences  (limited access to the distractions of TV, the internet,  and our phones help immensely). He senses perhaps an opportunity for me to understand better, and to share with you, what Tenwek has come to mean to me.
When I left Tenwek last year in October 2018, I entered into an incredibly tumultuous year. I retired from my Ob/Gyn practice which had enriched my life for 33 years. I had anticipated an upheaval of emotions and had put into place the chance to thank so many people for the joys and blessings of those years. God presented an idea to me (thru a casual conversation with a patient’s husband) to develop an outward and visible sign to those people who shaped those years. Rob Grimes used his Godly hands to create Women Partners mugs, and also a special set of mugs with a heart logo on them. I spent the year leading up to retirement handing out those mugs to the people who had become symbolic of what I loved. Those cups overflow with love and gratitude to so many patients and peers and co-workers who graced me with their trust. So many of my patients have become life-long friends and essentially have become extended family. You know who you are and how you have enriched my life. My partners, and the new young doctors who have joined our growing practice, know the depth of my commitment to those relationships. I learned from them, and was humbled by all of them.  I am eternally grateful to God for these people and years.
And now He has blessed me again with a similar opportunity at Tenwek.  He sent such an obvious sign when, on my first day of retirement, I was invited to help with the development of an accredited Ob/Gyn Residency program at Tenwek.  PAACS (Pan-African  Academy  of Christian Surgeons) is our governing body.  My retirement date had been set long before this opportunity presented itself. Only God could have orchestrated my transition from retirement directly into an effort to help further the development of the Ob/Gyn program at Tenwek. It was wonderful to meet up with other Tenwek Ob/Gyn ‘addicts’! Now I have a new cache of co-workers that I have the opportunity to learn from, be humbled by, blessed by,  and hopefully,  to help. What I didn’t anticipate was the joy of recurrent encounters with former patients here at Tenwek!  This year I was performing ultrasound studies one morning.   One of the many women that came in looked familiar –I said to her: “Don’t I know you from last year”?  She said:  “No, you delivered my child in 2015”.  Her husband even breached Kenyan etiquette by giving me a hug when he saw me! (Kenyans do not typically show open expressions of affection between men and women). She is now in her 4th pregnancy, and only one of her children is still alive and well---the one born in 2015!  She is now 7 months pregnant with twins, has had 3 previous cesarean sections, currently has a placenta previa, as well as chronic hypertension (every Ob/Gyn doctor reading that has now undoubtedly broken into a cold sweat). At present her babies are starting to lag in their growth and her placenta previa is starting to be problematic. Selfishly, I would love to participate in the ultimate birth of these babies, but they will benefit from staying in the womb far more than the 4 days that I have left on this trip. God will set their delivery date and my role with them.  My love and prayers will be with Rehema and her care-givers whether I am here, or 9,000 miles away in San Antonio.
I now have a new group of peers, co-workers, and relationships here in Kenya. They will never replace my previous practice family. I no longer have the freedom of a single spoken  language, but have the opportunity to expand my means of communicating-God is SO big-I pray that His Holy Spirit is manifested  through me by eye contact, a gentle touch, a smile of encouragement, or shared tears of sadness.  I witness depths of compassion deeper than I have ever seen from the people who have chosen to dedicate their professional lives to caring for patients here at Tenwek.  I participate in prayers in other languages without knowing, or needing to know,  the meaning of the words themselves.  It is obvious when the corporate “AMEN” comes from all participants at exactly the same time that the words themselves are unimportant…that what IS important, is the corporate talking with God on the patient’s behalf. It is a sweet, repetitive occurrence shared many times throughout the day. The Christian music and singing that fills the halls during morning shift change throughout the hospital is also language independent.
I thank each and every one of you who read our missives about Tenwek, and God’s work here, and in our lives.  I write this while looking at birthday cards from friends and family in America, and from Kenya as well. Words seem to jump off the page… Joy, Hope, Peace, Love, Faith, Smiles, Laughter, Hugs and Surprises. May those words also resonate in your lives.
….and from my sister:  “Most of all, may your (birth)day be the beginning of a beautiful year…the kind you (and ALL OF YOU as well) deserve”.
I pray it is so until I return to Tenwek in September 2020.
Love to you all,
Marilyn





No comments:

Post a Comment